Monastery of St. Gertrude

 

   

 

Our History

Three SistersFollowing below is a brief summary of the history of the Monastery of St. Gertrude. Read the full account in On the Way - The Journey of the Idaho Benedictine Sisters by Mary Lucille Nachtsheim, OSB, edited by Evangela Bossert, OSB. (This book documents the community's journey from ancient Engelberg in the Alps to our present home in Cottonwood.)

 

From Switzerland to Oregon to Washington

Mother Johanna

Our Foundress, Mother Johanna Zumstein, OSB

Gervais Oregon

The first house in Gervais, Oregon.

The Benedictine Sisters of the Monastery of St. Gertrude sprang forth from a humble beginning in 1882 as Sr. Johanna Zumstein, unable to speak English, closed the deal on the first living quarters for the Benedictine Sisters in Gervais, OR.

Soon the three missionary sisters from a cloister in Sarnen, Switzerland, converted the run-down building into a well-run monastic community. Their first missionary endeavor was helping on the Indian mission in Grand Ronde.

The road to Idaho from Oregon meandered through Washington where our pioneering sisters were called to educate children in the rural areas near Uniontown and Colton.

In 1884 they established St. Andrew's Convent and Academy in Uniontown. In ten years they outgrew their space and moved to nearby Colton, WA, where they opened St. Scholastica's Convent and Academy.

They began several schools in the area and expanded their ministry into Idaho by staffing schools in Genesee and Cottonwood. They also conducted many summer religious schools at small missions throughout eastern Washington and northern Idaho.

 

St. Andrew's

St. Andrew's Convent and Academy in Uniontown, Washington, 1888.

Academy

St. Scholastica's in Colton, Washington, 1896.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And Finally, to Idaho

MSG Wood

Original wooden buildings in Cottonwood, Idaho.

In 1907 the Benedictine Sisters again outgrew their space. Given a piece of land near the new prairie town of Cottonwood, ID, Mother Hildegard Vogler determined to relocate the motherhouse and novitiate there.

Three miles from town, the new site, with a frame house and chapel, provided a view across the prairie of the Clearwater and Bitterroot Mountains, glimpses of the rocky Seven Devils mountain range and a permeating aroma of pine which reminded the Swiss sisters of their homeland.

MSG Stone

The stone monastery building in Cottonwood, Idaho.

 

 

In the 1920’s the present Monastery of St. Gertrude was built, hewn from blue porphyry stone which was quarried from the hill behind it. The chapel is now on the National Register of Historic Places. By the time the new convent was completed and dedicated to St. Gertrude the Great, the Benedictine Sisters were engaged in many works for the Church.

The pressing needs of the pioneer families in Idaho called the Benedictine Sisters to respond quickly and effectively, first on the Camas Prairie, then throughout the state. For the next 50 years, St. Gertrude’s Monastery continued to establish and staff schools throughout Idaho.

In addition to their work in education, the sisters also became active in health care. In the 1930’s they opened Our Lady of Consolation Hospital in Cottonwood. In the 1960’s they replaced it with St. Mary’s Hospital which they continued to operate until its management was transferred to Benedictine Health System of Duluth, MN, in 1990 and is now part of Essentia Health. Learn more.

Wendell

St. Valentine's Hospital in Wendell, Idaho opened in 1923.

The sisters also operated St. Valentine’s Hospital in Wendell, ID opened in 1923. When that facility was closed in 1952, the sisters established St. Benedicts Hospital in Jerome, ID. Currently it is managed by St. Luke’s Health System. Learn more.

Surgery

In the surgery at Our Lady of Consolation Hospital, Cottonwood, Idaho.

 

 

 

 

 

 

During the 1990’s both of the hospitals received awards rating them among the top 100 hospitals in America. Thus, the tradition of care, concern and quality health care begun by the Benedictine Sisters continues into the new millennium.

During the 1970’s new areas of need began to emerge. While maintaining their presence in education and health care, the sisters began to serve as religious education directors, youth ministers, campus ministers, retreat directors and pastoral associates. The Monastery established a mission in Bogota, Colombia, where the sisters served in the school and parish. Some of the sisters also worked in the parishes the Diocese of Boise administered in Cali. The sisters all returned from South America in 1994.

The 1970’s also saw the close of St. Gertrude’s Academy and the consolidation of the schools in the Cottonwood area. Today, the buildings of St. Gertrude’s Academy house Prairie High School. The students there are receiving their public education in the same classrooms that their parents and grandparents occupied when the school was administered by the Benedictine Sisters.

Today, the Benedictine Sisters are ministering throughout the state of Idaho, and in Washington, California, and Minnesota. Their ministries are varied because the needs of the times are so great. In 2008, the sisters were awarded the Kessler-Keener Award for their work in human rights.

For over 130 years we have lived the gospel message through prayer and work.  Our communal life of prayer and contemplation is the leaven for our lives of presence and service.

We remain the only community of women religious to have a motherhouse in Idaho.